Divorce Lawyer in Binghamton, NY
We Take a Team Approach in Handling Your Case
Going through a divorce will likely be the most emotionally exhaustive, difficult event you’ll go through in your lifetime. Let our compassionate, experienced, and aggressive team guide you through this process to help you make a positive step forward with your life.
Making the decision to seek a divorce and end a relationship marks a crossroads in your life. During this process, you’ll want highly experienced divorce attorneys in Binghamton on your side to allow you to understand every option, explain every step, and clearly define every legal avenue available to you. This may be your first divorce, but it certainly isn’t ours. Our attorneys at Jackson Bergman, LLP can give you the much-needed peace of mind to start the next part of your life. We do this by standing by your side and giving you step-by-step guidance to move through the process with confidence.
Our team welcomes the opportunity to meet with you during our complimentary in-depth consultation where we will cover topics such as:
- Division of marital assets
- Fast, no-fault divorce
- Post-divorce disputes
- Contested vs. Uncontested divorce
- Separation agreements
Call (607) 367-7055 today to schedule your free case review.
No-Fault Divorce in New York
New York is a no-fault divorce state. This means that a spouse can file a petition for a divorce without citing specific grounds for doing so. The filing spouse only needs to claim that the marriage has been irretrievably broken. Although it is still permissible to file for a fault-based divorce, a no-fault divorce is preferred by most couples. This option typically proves to be a simpler process, especially when the divorce is uncontested. However, even a no-fault divorce is a complex process and should be handled with the help of a skilled legal team. Rely on Jackson Bergman, LLP to guide you during this challenging time.
Move Forward with Our Team by Your Side
We thoroughly understand the legal, emotional, and financial impact a divorce can have on you and your family, which is why we work closely together with you as a team. You may currently not be able to see your life after your divorce, but we assure you that day will come and that is why our team is here for you every step of the way. We don’t want you to just survive through the process, we work hard to ensure the outcome in your case will allow you to move confidently forward in life after your divorce has been settled.
Our Divorce Attorneys Are Experienced in All Types of Divorce Cases
We understand that every situation is unique.
Our team has experience in a variety of cases ranging from simple uncontested divorces that can happen in as little as a month, to more complicated divorce cases such as:
- High net worth divorces and divorces involving business assets
- Divorces involving complex child custody issues
- Resolving post-divorce disputes through enforcement orders, modification petitions, creative negotiating, and other means
- Enforcing or challenging prenuptial or postnuptial agreements
- Same-sex divorces and unique issues that are relevant to the LGBTQ community
Understanding Equitable Distribution
The process of equitable distribution can be particularly complicated. It involves parsing out separate property from marital property. It can involve valuing certain assets as of the date you were married and on the date the divorce action was commenced. Equitable distribution involves, among other things, analyzing the value of real property, investments, bank accounts, debt, and wasteful dissipation of assets.
The court will consider several factors when determining what is equitable in the distribution of your marital property, including:
- The length of the marriage
- The age and health of each spouse
- The income and property of each party
- The earning capacity of each spouse
- The non-financial contributions of each spouse
- The nature of the property involved (liquid or non-liquid assets)
- The wishes of both parties regarding specific assets
How Can A Divorce Attorney In Binghamton, NY Help You?
Having a lawyer help you through a divorce is extremely valuable. Not only will your lawyer provide you with important legal guidance, but he or she can serve as a great support system for you during this difficult time. Although our lawyers have helped many individuals going through divorces, we understand that each situation is unique, and make sure to treat each case as such.
Our attorneys in Binghamton will be there to guide and support you through each step of the way and are committed to making the divorce process as smooth and comfortable as possible.
Some ways that a divorce attorney can help you include the following:
- Providing objective legal advice
- Serving as an emotional support system
- Alleviating stress
- Saving you time and money
- Preventing you from making mistakes that may prolong the process
- Representing you in the courtroom
- Answering all of your questions related to your divorce and other family matters
- Helping you with child custody matters
- Helping to keep the peace between parties involved
Don't go through a divorce alone, let our divorce lawyers at Bergman, LLP help guide you and offer you with emotional support and reassurance that you may need during this time. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation, and to learn more about what we can do to help you.
Why You Need Jackson Bergman, LLP on Your Side
You need a legal team that can properly analyze marital assets/debt, aggressively advocate for your financial interests, and offers a contemporary view and outlook for your financial wellbeing and future. You need the Binghamton divorce lawyers at Jackson Bergman, LLP.
- Binghamton Divorce Attorney Ben Bergman on First Steps
- New York 3rd Party Custody Laws - Binghamton Custody Attorneys
To get started, contact us and tell us about your current situation. Our firm is here to help.